For those who are emerging leaders in the community and wish to learn greater community building skills, please apply to PACE (People’s Academy for Community Engagement).
The class is designed for 25-30 emerging leaders who are newly engaged in the community and want to acquire additional skills to be more effective in civic leadership. PACE participants have the opportunity to:
- Refine their organizing and communication skills.
- Increase the effectiveness of community groups they work with.
- Identify resources and avenues to empower communities and neighborhoods.
- Cultivate a deeper appreciation of cultural competency and inclusive civic engagement.
- Collaborate on a community projects with other PACE participants.
- Learn from key community and civic leaders and build new relationships.
Upon graduation, participants will have refined their skills to be more effective in civic life and in working with community groups in community building and engagement efforts.
The program begins with an orientation in September with graduation occurring in May. Sessions are held monthly and topics include:
- Approaches to Leadership
- Accessing Government
- Community Organizing
- Inclusive Outreach and Public Engagement
- Meeting Facilitation
- Public Speaking
- Conflict Management
- Sustaining Involvement
Applications are accepted in the spring. The program has a small tuition (tuition assistance is available).
PACE Community Projects
In addition to learning hands-on strategies, PACE participants plan and implement a community-based project in small groups.
How Do I Apply?
The 2015-16 PACE Application deadline is May 29, 2015 at 5 p.m. Apply HERE!