Winter travel can be tough on car and driver, to prepare:
- Check your tires and make sure your chains fit before the first winter storm and check tire pressure during cold weather. Remember, tire shops and mechanics are busiest just before and during winter storms.
- Get a vehicle winter maintenance check-up. Don’t wait to check your battery, belts, hoses, radiator, lights, brakes, heater/defroster and wipers.
- Keep your fuel tank full — don’t let it fall below half a tank on winter trips.
- Program your radio for traffic reports and emergency messages (for WSDOT radio: 530 and 1610 AM).
What to carry on winter trips:
- Winter Driving Supply Checklist (pdf 214kb)
- Keep a basic winter survival kit in your vehicle: flashlight, batteries, blanket, snacks, water, gloves, boots, first-aid kit.
- Load your car with winter travel gear : tire chains, ice scraper/snowbrush, jumper cables, road flares.
- See more winter preparedness tips at Take Winter By Storm website.
If you find yourself stranded, be safe, stay in your car, put on your flashers, call for help and wait until it arrives. For more winter travel tips visit: http://www.wsdot.com/winter/default.htm
What to carry in your car? (pdf 189kb)