As online sales have soared, so have package thefts. Home security cameras have captured criminals snatching gifts off front porches at an alarming rate in the West Woodland Neighborhood and across Seattle.
These “Porch Pirates” can follow delivery trucks, watching for prime targets and commonly strike during working hours when most homeowners are away. Here are tips to help you avoid being targeted by package stealing scumbags:
- For Amazon, try out their Amazon Locker service.
- With FedEx and UPS, you can opt to have a package in route delivered to a different address, during a more convenient time or held at a store or sort facility.
- You can ship to FedEx, UPS and USPS outlets. Just use their address. These locations will hold the package for you.
- Ship it to work. Of course, check with your manager first.
- Retailers such as Target, Walmart, Best Buy and others offer in store pickup and it is usually free.
- Take advantage of delivery alerts so you can be notified when a package arrives at your home.
Of course the BEST way to avoid package theft is to SHOP LOCAL first! You buy it at a local shop and it goes home with you the same day. No worries. More of the money you spend in the neighborhood, stays in the neighborhood!