The Open House and dedication for the new fire station opening in Ballard is scheduled for Saturday, April 2, 2016, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. This is an opportunity for the community to tour the fire station and meet our local firefighters who serve the Ballard neighborhoods, including West Woodland. Additional information about this event can be found HERE.
About the Station
Originally built in 1974, Station 18 is located at 1521 NW Market St. and is the lead station for Battalion IV, which covers most of northwest Seattle. The station houses a large number of functions. Its core operations comprise an engine company (E18), a ladder unit (L8), a medic unit (M18) and a battalion chief unit. It houses a number of reserve units as well, including a reserve battalion chief unit, a reserve ladder unit and a reserve medic unit. The station houses one of the Department’s two hose wagons. These wagons, converted from older engines, are capable of laying and pumping water through 6,000 feet of hose.
This is not the original location for Station 18. The station was once located at 5427 Russell Avenue NW, now home to Hi-Life Restaurant.
About the Project
Originally funded by Fire Facilities and Emergency Response Levy Program approved by Seattle voters in 2003, this project is one of the last Seattle stations to be renovated. The project improvements included a seismic upgrade, renovation of interior spaces and additions. There is now individual bunk rooms for all crew members, light- and temperature-controlled bunker gear storage, and expanded maintenance facilities. Learn more about the project HERE.
The station is has been operating out of a temporary location at 4733 Shilshole Ave. NW. since January 2015.