Start off the New Year with a splash!
Ballard‘s 8th Annual New Year’s Day Polar Bear Plunge is happening at 11:00 am January 1st, at Golden Gardens Park, 8498 Seaview Pl NW. This is a FREE event.
While this is not a Seattle Parks and Recreation organized event, here are a few tips from their website – the official Matthews Beach event – to help you prep for the plunge and jump into 2017 right! Read full post HERE.
Seattle Parks and Recreation offers a few tips for enjoying a fun, safe swim:
- Make the plunge even more special by dressing up in a costume!
- Come early, and carpool or take the bus (you can plan your trip at http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/).
- If you have heart problems or other serious medical concerns, we recommend that you consult your healthcare professional before taking the Polar Bear Plunge. If you can’t go in the water, come and watch!
- Don’t drink alcohol–it doesn’t warm you up, and it accelerates hypothermia.
- Stay in the water for no longer than 15 minutes—you lose body heat 25 times faster in water than in air.
- Keep your outer clothing on until you’re ready to get in the water. After the plunge, remove wet clothing before getting into dry clothes.